Posts Tagged 'Roleplaying'



Redback Spider – Paper Miniatures

I wanted to get some practice sketching up insects so I decdied to make a paper miniature based on a spider. Although not technically an insect I felt the extra pair of legs would just be more practice. Looking around at the different spider species,  I decided to base my paper miniature on the Aussie Redback spider. After several days of practicing sketching spiders in 3/4 view I finally ended up with a bit of rough sketch that resembled what I wanted.  I decided to do something a little different with the spiders as I always liked those miniature packs were you get small and big critters. I thought I’d do two sizes as flat miniatures and a third size as a 2.5d miniature.  Looking at the D&D scale chart I decided on the sizes of  medium, large and huge spiders. As usual I did the outlining and colouring primarily in Inkscape:

I decided to overlay the red strips in Gimp as it has much better control for that than Inkscape. The two smaller flat spiders were fairly easy to design where as the 2.5d Huge spider required a little more work and a pre-final test build to ensure I had the legs the correct length etc. I was hoping the whole lot would fit on  one page but as it turned out that wasn’t possible. The small and medium spiders are on one page and I did mirror each size so there’s 8 spiders on the page. The huge spider is on it’s own page with it’s instructions following it.  Here’s a final shot of the whole family all built up and waiting to devour the next group of adventurers who wander into their nest:

I’m very happy with how these paper miniatures turned out and although the  basing was a little larger than I originally wanted, the medium ones will fit into a 25mm base and two of the larger ones can be trimmed to fit into a 40mm base (Onemonk Bases here). The hair looks much better on print out than it did when looking in Inkscape although if you pick one up and look at it very closely  it does look a little odd.

The GSD and PDF are below, As usual if you save the GSD rename it to .gsd rather than .odt:

RedBack Spider Paper Miniature – PDF

Redback Spider Medium and Large (pg1) – GSD

Redback Spider Huge (pg2) – GSD

Anyways welcome to the parlor said the spider to the fly 🙂

Initial Mapping Finished for D&D Group

Well I’m finding the new projects page very useful, it lets me see what I could be working on and provides motivation to get a project finished so I can cross an item off. Seems the old Psychology of crossing items of lists still works on me. If it helps me finish more things I’m more than happy to use what helps.

These are the initial maps for the world my D&D group will frequent, half the fun for me as a DM is building a world and being able to throw whatever I need into a setting without me feeling like I’m breaking one of the predefined settings.

The World is called Etana and the main continent/island the group/s will start on is Mytivia. For the moment we are running 2 seperate sets of characters a primary set with full storyline and RP elements and a secondary set who are pretty much used for trawling around dungeons and receive double the experience award you normally receive as per 4ed. The Primary set will affect the geopolitical landscape were as the secondary set will be used for off the cuff adventures were I literally just sit with a laptop a pen and a piece of grid paper and make up some dodgy monster bash on the fly :).

A little info on the maps, the world map has been done in Winkel Tripel Projection, well as close as I could get doing it by eye in Gimp. Very few details are on the world map at this stage as I want to be able to use player input to add features details and names, it’s their world as well. The smaller continental map of Mytivia itself shows the major cities and main roads.

The Continental map was made using a combination of inkscape and gimp. I had to move the map to gimp as inkscape began to have serious performance issues with the 200-300 mb file. When the map is open in Gimp it is 50cmx30cm @ 300dpi with a rather large number of layers and can take along time to refresh, but I gave the map a lot of space so that I can zoom in and add more details later on. I suspect I may just end up copying segments of the map out however and making more zoomed in local maps in a new Gimp file to help with performance.

All of the icons etc I drew up in inkscape with the exception of the Compass rose which I downloaded from wikimedia commons. Again names of some places etc have been left off so that my players can suggest names and help build the world up and they feel more attached involved with the game world.

I’m fairly happy with the resulting maps, although there no were near as good as what some of the people churn out across at the Cartographers guild. If you want to learn anything about mapping check out their forums.

I’ll post up more detailed/geopolitical information about the world later on as time permits, I have far chunk of info written down and some still in the old brainbox. In the long term I’ll put all the info into a wiki so I can sort the information in a more logical fashion rather than just a pile of loose Blog posts and make it easier on me to reference when DM’ing.

Click the images to load the large version

Etena

Mytivia

I think I might do some miniature painting next 🙂


Project Status


WWII Project First Release

80%


B-tech Buildings Five

20%


Design Victorian era City

15%


Something Different

5%


Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 108 other followers

Content Released Under

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License.
Please Attribute to Sirrob01 with a link back to my blog

%d bloggers like this: