It would appear I’ve been MIA for a long while (other than the Taco post). Rest assured I’m still here and kicking, just been chewing through a fairly hefty renovation job on one of the bedrooms of our house, which I have now thankfully finished.
The Room itself is fairly small (2.2m x 3.4m), as this room backs onto the lounge room and shares a common wall with were we have the TV hanging it added some additional work. A short summary of whats been completed:
- Additional power sockets added by the TV – this included insuring they were on 2 different circuits. To keep the power in 2 studs only there was also some cable tidy up.
- Cable channel added behind the wall to keep cables tidy
- Conduit mounted for speaker cable and speaker cable run.
- Common wall with lounge room soundproofed/insulated
- Additional power point added for bedroom
- Cupboard built in for bedroom
- Shelving built onto one end of cupboard to maximize space
- Bedroom door shifted 40cm to the left and changed from full height door to normal height door.
- server/network (Node Zero) cupboard constructed and power sockets added above bedroom cupboard – this is pending completion.
- All skirting and cornice replaced
- Full repaint
- Carpet still needs replacing
I find it fairly difficult to photograph rooms but hopefully the below gives an idea of whats been done.
The draw unit in the cupboard is actual a flatpack kitchen draw set, unfortunately I had to hand cut all the draw face plates and build a box to slide the unit into. It does work very well and the kitchen draw slides are much more robust than what you normally find in wardrobes so hopefully I wont have a problem with the draws for a long time.
Lion drawer handles we wanted labyrinth handles but couldn’t find any small ones
The shelving built onto the left end of the cupboard are also built-in. We left the end closest open so that when you look into the room from the doorway (or out) it doesn’t block sight lines and helps to make the room feel bigger. The unit itself took me about 2-3 solid days to make (curve at the bottom was a bit of a challenge) and each shelf is routed into the back and side to maximize support. Even with that we’ll only use half of each shelf for books and the free ends for ornaments/nick-naks.
This seems like a really short post for something that I spent close to every spare weekend since February working on. We spent last weekend moving some stuff back into the room so there are now somethings on the shelves and pictures on the walls.
I plan on taking a break from house renovations/fixing for a short time so expect to see a bit more paper/wargaming stuff in the next few posts I have a heap to catchup on :).